Conference Coverage:- Day 3 - Lakeside Final Report



Mary C. Jozsi's final Day at the 2005 itSMF US Conference:- Today (of course) was shorter, but non-the-less still filled with a lot of great information!

I attended the workshop IT Organizational Structures: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. We know we want the right people in the right place, but I wanted to know how to tell for certain if that’s what’s there.

I wanted strategies to determine whether or not it is, and options to minimize the impact if it’s not. I was not disappointed.

Elizabeth Schlier and Gary Glassman brought us through a lot of information that I will not only be able to use in the future, but also got me thinking about past organizations I’ve seen and what might have been done differently (applying what I learned).

The session ITIL – Can you scale it down? Was also very interesting. While I don’t have immediate plans to implement an ITIL framework in a very small organization, I do feel it’s interesting to explore how to implement best practices and an ITIL framework in an organization that is not the typical very large company that we’ve done a lot of talking about.

Looking at the other end of the spectrum gives us a different way to view implementing the ITIL framework so that we can be successful by implementing using processes that work for the organization we’re working with.

Again, the ending keynote was great. Ravi Nannapaneni left us with some great thoughts about why it’s great to be in IT, why IT needs to be a Service Business, and why it’s so important to do it right.

I hope everyone who attended the conference enjoyed it and got as much out of it as I did.

A final note about the facility. McCormick Place is always a great place to have a conference, but I’d like to share what just “made it” for me. As many of you already know, McCormick Place Lakeside Center (or East) is right on Lake Michigan and has a beautiful view of the lake and of downtown Chicago – especially on a nice day.

I am sitting on the lake enjoying this view as I write this. (In spite of being a life long Chicago area resident, I can count on one hand how many times I’ve done this.) This time made possible by the location selected for the conference and the nice weather we are experiencing in the Chicago area.

Mary C. Jozsi
Senior Consultant.
Delta Initiative LLC.